whats your preferred tackle setup?

gonefishing7903

New Member's Liason
Staff member
BBM Staff Member
Boat
Javelin Venom 17
Ok gang lets play a variation of a game that I have seen on other forums. Heres the deal: a specific type of lure is named. you tell us how, when, and where you like to fish it, preferred tackle set up (rod action and length, line size and type, reel type and gear ratio ect) favorite colors, memorable catches and anything else you want to talk about it. Then at the end of your response you name another lure so the next guy can talk about that lure and so on and so on. to start off I will have to give myself a lure, so I will go back to my bass fishing roots:

Texas rig plastic worm

ok my go to size is 7" to 8" although i will at times go bigger and on a rare occasion smaller. 5/16 oz is my standard size of sinker but will go as light as 1/16 oz or as heavy as 1 oz depending on the size of the worm, wind conditions and how deep I am fishing. For hooks I like an EWG 1/0 to 4/0 depending on how thick the worm is and usually a mustad although I have been trying Laser Trokar hooks recently. I have just about every color imaginable, but really usually its one of a handful of colors 90% of the time: watermelon, black/blue tail, black/ charturse tail, red shad, plumb, bright red, purple or junebug. I have to go with a 6.3:1 baitcaster spooled either with 50lbs braid or 14lbs floro. a 6'6" medium rod is what I prefer but I used to have a 5'6" skyline pistol grip rod that was 100% graphite that was my all time favorite rod for worm fishing. I will fish them in just about any cover and down to 15ft or so, as any deeper I become impatient waiting on the sinker to make it too the bottom so I will switch to a Carolina rig where I can up the weight

next lure is:

spinnerbait