1. More Boating and Fishing Information Then You Can Handle!

FREE REGISTRATION

For Best Results : Use Google Chrome to View Our Site!

2. Do you own a Marina, Guide Service, or Dealership?

Get it listed in our BBM Directory! Its Free Advertising For Your Company!

Click Here For Our Business Directory

3. Check Our Our Boating and Fishing Classifieds Section

Click Here For Our Classifieds Section

Shadow Bass Boat

Discussion in 'Bass Boat Reviews' started by smax, Sep 1, 2009.

1. smax

smax New Member

Featured:

What do you guys think about Shadow Bass Boats? I am asking because I found a 1990 18' with a Merc 175hp, but I don't know anything about them other than they are not made anymore. My father in law owns his own boat shop so he will check the entire boat out for me, but are there anythings specific we should look for?
  2. Darth VMAX

Darth VMAX Allison Boats Officer Staff Member Admiral (3 Star)

Featured:

The Shadow hulls are currently being produced by Cougar Custom Boats. These poor molds get sold, produced and then sold again...

What I know is they are definatly faster (not Allison fast) than your typical basser but they ride like absolute crap. I mean a spine crushing pissing blood ride when the water gets rough. I rode in one ONCE.

They do have nice sleek lines though
  3. Tarheelxrd

Tarheelxrd Active Member

Featured:

There are some very fast Shadows out there. Very popular in my area years ago. They were some guys that lived and died by them like Allison and Bullet. If I was looking for a older used boat it would be on the top of my list. Of course you need to check it top to bottom just like any other transom weak spots etc. I dont know the years where they changed ownership but like previously stated thye have been around. The 80s models I know are some of the good ones. I know where there was a cream puff for sale if you are really interested
  4. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Featured:

Yeah those molds get moved around a bit,and sold and resold,saw an ad recently for 10,000 one could have a major brand name mold.
    Id say at a guess they have been fairly worn by a few years later after being retired.
    But ten grand one is in the boat building business.
    Id love to have the one for the 16 ft 10 bumble bee composite boat rated for a 140hp,talk about a pocket rocket lol.
  5. Darth VMAX

Featured:

6. lowrider

lowrider Member

Featured:

i see a problem...where on that nice looking console are you gonna mount a depth finder?
  7. Darth VMAX

Featured:

LOL...its called a RAM mount. ;)

Those things look like a missile
  8. RedAllison

RedAllison New Member

Featured:

There's a reason those things are so spotty in their history and the molds have bounced around from here to there over the years.

If you want a good, used high perf boat I'd stick with lookin for an older Allison, Bullet or Norris Craft. The Shadows were built with mahagony and most of them were one patch job after another.

That Cougar, damn gel coated rod lockers??? :confused: One 20 mile run in white caps and your rodsNreels would be DESTROYED!!! :drunk:

They were fast in a day before truly fast boats and motors were available,
    RA
  9. 1FASTLASER

1FASTLASER Active Member

Featured:

I noticed the rod lockers right away..NOT good...........Looks like she would fly wit the 150 on her. I definately like the hull design.....modified from the traditional tunnel.......maybe thats why she is such a kidney beater..........just enough room for lift from air but not enough to really get some lift.......I think I said that right.
  10. Dougw

Dougw New Member

Featured:

I drove one once and I don't know about all of'em but that one - Backwash was an issue - a big issue!
  11. BigBass

BigBass Staff Member Fleet Admiral

Featured:

Welcome Back Senior Chief!!!
  12. Dougw

Dougw New Member

Featured:

;)..........
  13. BigBass

BigBass Staff Member Fleet Admiral

Featured:

Good Point: Well Taken....

Thanks
  14. 1FASTLASER

1FASTLASER Active Member

Featured:

Dang I keep comin back and lookin at dat boat......I do like her lines......Hey darth did ya run one of the newer ones or the older ones....was wondering bout the difference in ride between da 2.
  15. Jay Martin

Jay Martin BBM Prop Doctor Staff Member

Featured:

They cut corners thats for sure. Did you guys also notce the trailer?, cheap rims!! Also the prop, A Ballistic, thats as cheap as you can get.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  16. egreen024

egreen024 Member

Featured:

Don't like... no carpet in rod lockers. Gunwales are just not my style, think there could be a lot more deck room with a diferent design. Also, the facing down transom is not appeling to me. I got the same engine on my boat and I'm happy with it, bought it used (1999) but runs like a charm. Yellow... only a few, if any would buy an yellow bass boat!!!
  17. Bullet20dc

Bullet20dc Active Member

Featured:

Hey Doug is that the model ATCSKEET had from the old bassangler.com board.
    He had his flying with a pooter hooked up to it that could change stuff on the fly.
  18. Dougw

Dougw New Member

Featured:

Yup... that was the one. I wasn't really fond of it a'tall. Wasn't all that difficult to drive but all he had going on - seemed like way more trouble than it was worth.
  19. Darth VMAX

Featured:

The only one I rode in was an actual Shadow with an old V6 X-Flow Rude (???hp, had a custom painted cowl on it). Condiitions sucked to really open her up (hence the bone jarring experience that was way worse than my little 16'8" 268 Stratos in the same conditins). We did find a little sheltered area and it ran up to low 70's with more left in it. Don't know if I wanted to see if there was more in it due to the rough condition of the boat.

Comment was made of the color. I for one is one that LOVES YELLOW!

I agree, the Cougar is a sweet looking boat. It would be better with a dual console, a 2.6 HT VMAX and I am sure it would be fine if you run on waters that are protected and don't kick up too bad (NOT a Kansas boat LOL) But that said I would much rather have an Allison XB2002. As for construction of the Cougar Infinity. I don't know...but that rub-rail looks like crap IMO. I am sure you could have the rod storage carpeted if asked. These guys are NOT bass-boat guys (evident by the rest of their line-up).

They do look good and you would not have to worry about seeing another one on the lake...
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  20. Rooster Tail

Rooster Tail Member

Featured:

Another boat that had some similar nice looking lines that went away several years ago was Randall Craft. Very similar to the Shadow hull. A mold that I wish someone would buy and start producing again is the old Hydra-Sport X-270 or VS-150. The '84 & '85 X-270 (called the VL-270 those years) was listed at just over 800 lbs. and was rated for a 150hp. Talk about a pocket rocket!