Phoenix 721 Boat Review

Discussion in 'Phoenix Boat Owners Showcase' started by BigBass, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BigBass

BigBass Staff Member Fleet Admiral

Featured:

I had a great time out on the water with this boat; of course I was with what I would consider to be a professional boat operator and that would be JE Van Natta.

I have known JE for quite a few years and I know he can put his boat in the water and run the baby! JE is very fluent in boating knowledge. I don’t think that ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Phoenix</ST1:place> boats could have chosen a better representative for their boating line.

At first I was hesitate about the boat being that its in its infancy, but those thoughts were quickly extinguished when I was advised of the years of boating knowledge and experience that actually stands behind the boat. The Phoenix Boat Company may be new, but the people behind it are not, they have several years of boat development and manufacturing behind them. That is the only way that they could have developed a boat of this caliber.

After making our usual jokes at each other, we started to the lake. One of the first things I noticed it that the boat was towing very easily, heck we were talking the whole time and you would not have known there was a 21ft bass boat behind us. We arrived at the ramp, a very steep ramp, and the boat was splashed in the water with ease.

At first looking at the boat in the water it appeared to be stylish, it’s definitely a boat that turns heads. We buzzed down the lake…

This is normally where I would tell you all about the fishing, but we are going to skip that part due to the fact, JE was the only one to catch fish this day, which is a rare occasion when we fish together!

We were able to reach a top speed of 69.8 GPS at 5500 rpm with two men (I am not a super small man) a lot of tackle (JE, runs a tackle shop off his boat), and a full tank of fuel. I know this boat has the ability to go a bit faster, JE was pulling back a little bit due to the fact that I had a hard time catching my breath for some reason ( Embarrassing for me, but says a lot about the boat). JE stated he sees 71-73 GPS with a tournament load and 77 GPS by himself. The lake was slick so we made quite a few wakes in the water by doing figure 8’s and then running through our own rollers. The boats turning capability was very impressive along with its ability to take some decent wakes in the water. The boat is light enough to cut thru the water and yet heavy enough to withstand a beating.

The boat trailers fairly easy, we were on a very steep ramp and had no problems.

Back to the parking lot for a complete walk around and picture taking of the boat……………Here’s what I found:

Mercury Pro XS: Nice motor looked very sharp on the back of this boat, it definitely stands out!

Rear Pads: Easily accessible for those personal times on the back of the boat, to be honest with you, I was quite impressed on how something so simple could really stand out. No more hanging on the motor!!! Standing on a non-slip pad really helps.

Console: Was very stylish with big bold, easy while your driving, to read console. Not a lot of wasted space all utilized quite well. Accessible fuse box, Perfect amount of space underneath used for your hot foot throttle and non slip pad for your spare foot, trim on column. This boat was really geared towards the professional and Amateur Fisherman. The Hummingbird fish finding/GPS unit was perfectly mounted and snuggled into the console.

There is a Net Storage built into the boat as well, perfectly placed between the new seats.

They have taken almost every step possible in this boat having all the accessible compartments as possible, even the cooler is of good size and is located in the step towards the bow of the boat where other fisherman friendly compartments are located.

There is a pliers and scissor holder built right into the boat on the bottom of the console, out of the way and yet still accessible.

Great upholstery on the seats and when I first saw these I thought for sure I would have to jump over them to get to rear of the boat, this was not true as Phoenix Boats has thought of everything, there was a non-slip step between them which made it very easy.

It does come equipped with an emergency ladder at the rear of the boat which is pinned up for a quick release if needed. This fisherman believes that every boat should be equipped with such a ladder. The interior of the boat is also equipped with LCD lights perfectly located thru out the boat.

Talk about ease, there is even a small cleat located on the driver’s side within the interior of the boat for the driver to attach upon docking, no more running to the front or back of the boat in a rush to get tied down.

Front of the Boat: Although a lot of you will say it looks like a Stratos, you can tell the difference upon inspecting the boat, the deep v hull of the boat may have been brought over from Stratos ( about the first quarter of the boat ) , but the rest is all a Phoenix design. The trolling Motor didn’t bounce and properly installed. The bow console was beautifully designed for easy access of your electronics, light switch and trim. It does have a recessed area for your trolling motor controls. No reason to cut and install one yourself.

Trailer: Had a fold-in tongue for those who can store the boat in the garage, this is really a handy item. The custom trailer had LCD lights and along with their logo on the sides. “Good Quality Trailer”

Thumbs UP!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. BigBass

Featured:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. BigBass

Featured:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. BigBass

Featured:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. BigBass

Featured:

You can visit their website for more specifics:

http://www.phoenixbassboats.com/

Also keep in mind, we will have Phoenix Boats represented at our tourney this year for a more complete review.
  6. 1FASTLASER

1FASTLASER Active Member

Featured:

BEAUTIFUL boat.........well thought out......I personally like the idea on the dash layout............EEVERYTHING at a quick glance..............and the boat is setup for quick runs to your favorite honey hple. This boat is definately going to be a contender in my opinion.
  7. egreen024

egreen024 Member

Featured:

looks really nice, would defenetly check then out if in the market for new boat. Looks very roomy with lots of deck, and those SI units look good on it to. Only question I have is the shell covering the underside of console, is that screwed in or is it easy to remove? just wonder how easy it is to access wires in case you need to repair something while on the water.
  8. Bullet20dc

Bullet20dc Active Member

Featured:

really nice rig. well laid out. The only thing I see, and I see this in a lot of new designs is the fact that the depth finder / gps in both helm and bow panels are recessed. I have found that to be a big problem when the unit is upgraded to either a different unit or brand. It dictates that the replacement be exactly the same size and shape. I've done a few re-rigs on skeeters and a few others that came with relativly small electroncis units built into the dash and the new replacements just wouldn't fit. Had to get creative on all of them to make it work. Perhaps a diff approach would be to make them a flush panel that incorporates a bracket rather than recessed. Other than that it looks like a really great ride. This isn't a knock on this particular brand like i said but just me pickin at nits on all the new models coming out lately.
  9. BigBass

Featured:

Very good point..........very good!
  10. Darth VMAX

Darth VMAX Allison Boats Officer Staff Member Admiral (3 Star)

Featured:

I really like them. The boat profile reminds me of the old Stratos SS Extreme boats (which I always liked).

You didn't have to include pics of "home"in the background BB :mad:
    I need to get back
  11. BigBass

Featured:

Thats right, thats are meeting spot...........
  12. JEVPhoenixBass

JEVPhoenixBass Member

Featured:

Bullet,

Good comments. The only issue you would have is if you change series in the Humminbird line say from a 700 to a 800 series. The 800 and 900 all have the same dimensions on the cut outs. While the 1197 is just to big a format for a dash mount.

This boat has a Humminbird 997 on the TM, 957 in the dash, and the 1197 RAM mounted. We set up the same products on a Nitro for a big name who wanted the unit mounted as you said. It is a knuckle buster if you're hard on the wheel in tight areas. The problem is the distance between the face of the unit and the back of the steering wheel. With the tilt wheel it would not be as big an issue if you liked running a pretty much vertical wheel. Other than that if you have a hole you can't match the only other option is to purchase a new dash which on the Phoenix is easy to replace.

Thank you.
  13. JEVPhoenixBass

JEVPhoenixBass Member

Featured:

Hey Darth,
    Check here in the Phoenix forum at the thread it's not a Stratos. You'll be impressed.

J.E.
  14. Darth VMAX

Darth VMAX Allison Boats Officer Staff Member Admiral (3 Star)

Featured:

Oh I fully understand its not a Stratos. Just "reminds" me of one...

:sign0005:
  15. n4sir

n4sir New Member

Featured:

i am interested in buying one of these boats but i have some questions i hope someone can assist me with. the circular tackle organizer under the front seat. how many boxes does it really hold. what is the width of the front deck right at the seat base from inside left to inside right. does this boat hav e dual pumps in the live well?

thanks for any one that can assist me,

big john:p
  16. JEVPhoenixBass

JEVPhoenixBass Member

Featured:

Hey John,

Sorry for the delay I've been down for a bit under the weather. To tell you the truth I'll have to go out and count the number of box's it will hold. I should know that so I apologize. It may take a couple days as right now I'm under the snow and cannot get out to the storage.
    The livewells have two pumps that provide fill, recirculation, and pump out features.
    I will be selling the boat shown in the pictures here very soon I know you're in VA but will be glad to work with you.
  17. Nichor02

Nichor02 Asst. Operations Director Staff Member Admiral (3 Star)

Featured:

I LIKE IT. Very sharp. I also like the guages in the dash. Not searching the dash for the one I need to see. Large front deck. BB's little non slip pad at the back. A very sharp layout IMO.
  18. JEVPhoenixBass

JEVPhoenixBass Member

Featured:

John,

Again sorry for the delay. I had to go out to the storage and climb in the Phoenix! the storage system hold 8 boxes and I have not had any issue with boxes coming out and I've ran some pretty heavy water.
  19. JEVPhoenixBass

JEVPhoenixBass Member

Featured:

Just an update as you will find this mounting system provided on every boat out there when you request a dash or bow mount. Unless the foot print of the upgrade unit is larger than the older unit, which is the most common situation you run into on upgrades , it requires purchasing a replacement panel or fabricating something yourself. You have the option of shipping your units loose and utilize any of the many mounting systems available to mount the unit anywhere you like.

I have driven with the type of installation you are suggesting and it does not provide safe and adequate spacing between the steering wheel and the unit for the average driver's hands. One very well know Elite pro new to Humminbird, was running the exact set up you suggest on his 2009 rig which was not a Phoenix, console did not provide adequate room to flush mount a 997 and it was the only installation that could be done. If you drive a boat as I have with the installation as mentioned you will find it is simply not safe unless you tilt the wheel all the way down and are comfortable driving with the wheel in that location.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  20. KonaKustoms

KonaKustoms BBM Fiberglass and Restorations Oficer

Featured:

It's starting to grow on me, Did it set level in the water or was it bow up BigB?