1. More Boating and Fishing Information Then You Can Handle!

FREE REGISTRATION

For Best Results : Use Google Chrome to View Our Site!

2. Do you own a Marina, Guide Service, or Dealership?

Get it listed in our BBM Directory! Its Free Advertising For Your Company!

Click Here For Our Business Directory

3. Check Our Our Boating and Fishing Classifieds Section

Click Here For Our Classifieds Section

Mercury 250 Pro XS VS Yamaha 250 SHO

Discussion in 'The BBM - Lounge - General Discussions' started by onplane, Aug 31, 2012.

1. onplane

onplane Member

Featured:

Mercury 250 Pro XS VS Yamaha 250 SHO

I know this is probably more a Ford Chevy thing but am interested in the direction the industry and technology is going.. I like certain characteristics about both. I wonder if in say 5 years there will be a clear choice 2stroke or 4 stroke. I'm very interested in hearing both sides. One example is Skeeter supposedly working with Yamaha SHO to build a boat that fits a motor. I would like to see how an FX21 would run with a Pro XS strapped on. I also understand that sometimes you can also just get an engine that turns out to be problematic when another exactly same motor could be flawless for 10 years. It seems every year I watch the Elite series, there is some new innovation or direction everything starts moving towards. Will it be motors or something else.
  2. Darth VMAX

Darth VMAX Allison Boats Officer Staff Member Admiral (3 Star)

Featured:

There are pluses and minus's to both.

The Opti is a proven design. It had its teething problems in the beginings just like ALL new technology but Mercury has had 14 yrs to get it "perfected". That being said, the technology while good, is now dated when compared to the competition.
    Merc 2-strokes are the loudest (from idle to wot), roughest running and "dirtiest/smokiest" of all the CARB 3 rated motors. Amazing is the fact is while all are very effecient, the old Opti is one of the MOST effecient. When comparing CC's per weight, the Mercs are also the HEAVIEST. Their 3.0L V6 Optimax motors all (200-250) weigh 505 lbs. By Comparison the much larger displacement 250HO ETEC at 3.4L is 507 lbs and the 4.2L V6 Yamaha SHO comes in at an incredible 505 lbs (SAME as the Merc.). I REALLY wish Mercury would redesign the Optimax Cowls/lower pan. They have been the same for 13 years and the design is REALLY TIRED and kind of UGLY! They need something fresh and exciting!

The Yamaha SHO is no doubt leading the way in 4-stroke technology. ITs been out a few years now and from what I understand the bugs have been worked out (still new technology so who knows). I STILL think Yamaha made a big mistake by dropping the 3.3L Series 2 HPDI line so quickly and I wish they would have given the SHO/ Series 2 a 3-5 year simultanious production run. But that alone tells you how confident Yamaha is in its 4-stroke technology.
    The SHO is your typical EXCELLENT Yamaha quality and fit and finish will be nicer than the Mercury. Its runs smoother, is quieter all through the RPM band and its torque is unreal. There is no replacement for displacement! If your running a heavy rig or running your rig LOADED the 4.2L torque will be obvious when compared to the 3.0L.

The SHO and 250 Pro XS run about the same top speed, but the SHO will stomp it in a drag race (out of the hole). The Opti will eek out a little better fuel milage than the SHO, but you will have to factor in oil burn with the Opti.

Heck if it were me choosing, I would get a 250HO ETEC LOL!!!!!

AS far as what you will see in 5 years. I honestly think that the only choice in a FULL Line-up of 2-stroke motors will be from Mercury and Evinrude (and I see Evinrude being the last in the 2-stroke biz). Everyone else except for Nissan/Tohatsu (115 hp max), Yamaha HPDI (150, 175 and 200 2.6L) has gone 4-stroke.
    Good Luck! :cheers:
  3. onplane

onplane Member

Featured:

For some reason all the dealers I have talked to are really down on the ETEC. The say they can't sell a boat with it hanging off the back. I don't know enough about the Etec's to debate it with them. Maybe its a geographical thing. Another example are Stratos boats, for some reason no one really has any good opinions about them. I think they are very sharp... I don't agree with any of their comments due to my lack of knowledge on the topics. I just listen and make my own decisions, no one will influence what I do.. I'm big on research.....`
  4. Darth VMAX

Featured:

I am a huge Stratos fan. Dont know of anything wrong with them. They are a mid priced boat and are a GREAT value IMO.

ETEC went through their teething problems just as Opti did. Great motor now...

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!! :cheers:
  5. webby

webby Member

Featured:

Both engines are very good. I know Mercury is keeping the Optimax 250 in it's lineup for quite some time because it's proven and has much better fuel mileage. I tested the SHO engines against the Optimax engines on a few different rigs and the fuel mileage is much better on the Optimax. The speed differences are minimal if any.Hole shot =the Yamaha gets the nod..........remember-Yamaha has had their fair share of issues as well. Teething issues for the Yammies exist too!;) So you have to make a consious decision what fits you best. I will say this.Yamaha engines are very good but are more expensive to purchase over the 250 PRO XS mercury engines and the Yamaha engines use more fuel. You decide..I like some features on both sides. John
  6. Darth VMAX

Featured:

Hey Webby. Man I was hopin for some kudos from you! Did you read my post? I gave love AND gripes to BOTH! I am like FOX news, I report, YOU decide LOL!!!! :D

I would really like to see an actual cost $ breakdown between the two motors.

While everyone agrees the Opti gets better fuel milage, you are STILL using oil (EXPENSIVE oil!). The SHO burns more fuel, but doesn't burn the oil. I would be REAL curious as to which is actually less expensive to run on a daily basis.
  7. webby

webby Member

Featured:

$1,698.00 difference in dealer cost between the Yamaha SHO and the Mercury 250 PRO XS. I said "I like both engines and some of each of their features"
  8. Darth VMAX

Featured:

I actually meant average daily operating costs.

But I am a little surprised that the purchase cost is that little between the two... I was thinking more around $2000+ difference. :cheers:
  9. onplane

onplane Member

Featured:

What about the SHO VS VERADO...... Does Merc's 4 stroke compete with Yamaha's.
  10. Darth VMAX

Featured:

I have quite a bit of 300 Verado Experience. NO WAY would I put a Verado on a bass-boat. They are AWESOME for Walleye and Off-shore style boats, but just too heavy for a basser AND for the money spent, they are slow and still a little fuel thirsty.

I would be willing to bet the 250 SHO would stomp the Verado in all categories.
  11. onplane

onplane Member

Featured:

I wonder why Merc hasn't progressed in the 4 stroke category like the SHO. That's really my point earlier, I think it's just a matter of time when the new technology will dominate and the current will be old news....
  12. copper

copper New York Fishing Report Officer

Featured:

Very well put Darth! Even the Etec part!!LoLoL

13. onplane

onplane Member

Featured:

I used to have a 4 stroke Yamaha and it was SUPER FAST. It was on my YFZ 450. A pure racing bike right off the showroom floor. After a new exhaust along with new jets in the carb and a YZ racing cam, WOW...... I have always liked Yamaha. I was pretty much sold on the Pro XS now I'm pretty sure I will go with a SHO. I just think that is the direction of technology. I wonder whats on the drawing board with Yamaha's SHO technology?
  14. webby

webby Member

Featured:

The Verado engine definately do not belong on a Bass Boat. I agree with Darth 200%. I have never been a fan of those on the Bass Boat Rigs. Pontoons YES! and Offshore type boats -absolutely...but Bass Boats- Not so much if at all. However......I do like the PRO XS for many reasons and there are good points to the Yamaha for sure.
  15. Darth VMAX

Featured:

As far as whats next for the SHO. A 150 & 175 SHO should be coming out. Yamaha has NO 175 hp 4-stroke and the 150 they do have is a nice (I4)pontoon motor ;). (My idea was to make a cool V-4 Line-up based on the 4.2L V-6 block and offer it as a 135-150-175 hp)
    I would LOVE to see a 300 SHO come out but I doubt we ever will. :wallbash: Yamaha makes a 275 SHO but its not available in the US. :(

I beleive Mercury is working on its 4-stroke line-up. They released a nice little 150 4-stroke this year that is a less expensive and lighter weight alternative to the Verado.
  16. Laus3

Laus3 Public Relations Staff Member Admiral (2 Star)

Featured:

I will take either 250 lol....
  17. webby

webby Member

Featured:

Mercury is working on their line-up for sure......when we will see that is anyones guess. I can say this- at least these companies are getting pointed in the right direction !
  18. Darth VMAX

Featured:

If you look at the trend, then you are right. 4-Stroke is where the future is. Either motor will be a great choice but if you are wanting the "Latest and Greatest" the SHO is where its at. IMO Mercury could do some tweaking of the Orbital technology (Optimax). Find out a way to quiet the air compressor and the exhaust along with a new cowl and pan they could "re-charge" their opti line-up.

(I am a die-hard 2-stroke guy and thats maybe why I like the ETEC so much. Its the latest and greatest 3rd generation of DFI. Plus they run so nice and smooth. Super quiet at idle/low rpms but with an awesome exhaust note when the coals are poured. The "kick in the @zz" acceleration is awesome as well)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  19. webby

webby Member

Featured:

Look forward to the new things in the future....:party0045: