Maxxum tunning

Madbasser

Ok, so i'm new to having a cable steer unit on my bass boat. I used to have an electric steer minnkota and it worked great, but it just didn't mount properly. So i found a nice Maxxum on CL and brought it home.
I have never had any experience with cable steer so this is all new to me. The cables were really loose when i got the motor so i bought new ones and installed them per the instruction (the adjustment screw was all the way in so they all way too stretched). I also put on a new cam in the steering head.

My question is this. Is the trolling motor supposed to spin out of the way when deployed and retracted or does it just swing freely as long as the foot pedal is not obstructed?

Ok let me explain. I had to fill in all the old holes and drill new ones. I set the TM base as far forward as i could, and still have the mount on a flat surface. I drilled new holes and mounted the motor. The base is mounted on the right side of the bow and nose of the mount ends up on the left side of bow. The nose of the mount sticks out about 2" or so but the point of the bow is like 1" farther out. Ok so IF the motor shaft is adjusted all the way down ( so i get full use of the shaft length), at deployment the motor swings over and hits the point of the bow before hitting the water.

In other words, as soon as the motor is unlocked from the mount, it spins over just from gravity.

When i try and stow it away it just bumps the mount as it come up so i have to manually turn the motor side ways to get it to stow properly.

Is this normal or are they supposed to swing over automatically to allow easy stowing. I may have messed something up or changed up some alignment stuff when i changed the cables, so i hope this is an easy fix. Or maybe this is the way they all are. Sorry for my ignornace and thank for the help.