January tip of the month winner

B

Bonsaibp

This month the winner of our fabulous prize package of Eagle Claw Hooks donated by Eagle Claw and Roboworms the finest worms a robot can pour go to Nightmare for his tip on trailer saftey chains.
Congrats nitey. Pm me your mailing address and I'll get your prize out to you forthwith.

Whip me - Chain me (especially chain me!)

Winch straps are fine for snugging the rig's nose up to the winch post but they aren't up to the task of holding boat to trailer in a significant crash. When that happens, keeping boat on trailer and trailer connected to tow rig is important to minimize potential for disaster. If the trailer comes loose or boat comes off of the trailer and goes off on their own, you have a liability nightmare on your hands. During a crash investigation, a determination of "unsafe vehicle" or "unsecured load" will place you high on the appetizer menu for some personal injury attorney if somebody gets hurt by your rampaging trailer or boat.

Add an appropriate strength & length chain for the bow eye and consider adding the same to the rear tie-downs. Rear tie-down straps are nothing more than short winch strap material. Chains can be made "boat finish friendly" by slipping clear plastic hose over the chain. Keep the chains just long enough to fasten - no reason for extra slack here.

Ensure that your safety chains on the trailer hitch are also appropriate strength & length. Should be 2 chains long enough to criss-cross under the trailer tongue before connecting to the truck but short enough to cradle the tongue from hitting the pavement if the coupler fails.