I am at a Loss

Ok folks gotta ? fer someone that can help out. Originally my tidecraft didnt have a tach. So I got the needed tach harness. Well in the mean time the reg/rectifier went out. So I had to get one. Installed it and put in a new tach. Visually inspected the stator while the flywheel was off. No bad smell and all looked good. I have checked to make sure tach is getting 12 volts and it is. The new reg/rectifier was missing one thing when it got here. This I found AFTER I installed it. There are 2 yellow wires on it. One is supposed top be solid yellow and it is.the other is supposed to be yellow with grey stripe....it aint. Called the company and they kinda gave me a "I dunno reply" Ok here is my dilemma. The tach aint working but I do know the system is charging. I am wondering or thinking I have the yellow wires in the wrong place. Is it possible to have the 2 yellow wires reversed and it still charge???? If thats the case then that would lead me to beleive thats why I am not getting a tach signal. Ifn anyone knows these dang OMC's better than I do PLEASE chime in.