Buzzbait Tuning

Nichor02

Senior Fisheman
Boat
Polar Craft
Now for most of you, this won't mean much. But for some of our members it might be just the ticket.

When you buy a buzzbait, it's not always ready to hit the water. The main thing for a buzzbait is to make a squeeling noise, or a squeaking noise. This draws the bass to want to attack. Now theres several different ways to accomplish this little deal, so I'm going to share the ways I tune them.

1) There is a keeper on the wire below the blade on all buzzbaits. May be made differently on some, but it's there. Take a pair of pliers and crimp this little rascal so that it does not move. You want it to be in a fixed position.

2) If you buy one with paint on the blades. Scrape all the paint off the bottom of the blade where it touches this keeper. It's not a bad idea to scrape it even if it isn't painted. This will remove any obstructions from the blade so it insures that it will be rubbing against the keeper.

3) When the blade turns, it should make a noise. You can easily check this by blowing on the blade and making it turn quickly. You want it to make as loud a noise as you can get it to.

4) Once you get the keeper like you need it, and scrape all obstructions away from the bottom of the blade, now your almost done. Now either tie the lure in front of a strong fan, or as I sometimes do, zip tie it to your antenna on your truck. Leave it there for as long as it takes to start a squealing noise. You can also hang it under a ceiling fan. It will work just fine. The main objective is to make that sucker spin as fast as you can get it to. You will notice the difference in the sound it makes without even trying.

When you think you have it making as much noise as you can, then your ready to tie that joker on and give it a whirl. Another thing to keep in mind is when using a buzzbait, always keep a black worm, or some type of plastic worm, lizard. or creature bait tied onto a rod and keep it close by. You will have fish blow up on a buzzbait and miss it completely. This is when you snatch the buzzer out of the strike zone of that fish, and throw that plastic to that spot. You'll be amazed how many times this will net you a fish.

But the main thing to remember when using this lure is not to set the hook when the water explodes around it. It's very hard not to, but let the fish take the lure. Once you feel him tugging or running with it, set the hook. This is about the best way I can explain of how I use mine. So give it a try, and good luck.