1994 201 DCR Elite restoration

86 inches

I am about to begin restoration of my 1993 201 DCR Elite. I bought it new in 93' and for 10 years while I was heavy into fishing I treated it like my pride and joy. It saw a lot of use but I kept up with maintenance and it got the double wide garage all to itself. Over the years I lost my way and I quit fishing and took up diving. Now those days are over and I want to get back to my roots... so to speak. For the past several years my boat has been sitting unused on the side of my house. Its been killing me to see her slowly yield to the hot southwestern sun but now I am determine to give her a second life. I have been tempted to just sell her off but the 201 is a classic and have decided to spare no expense it getting her back in tip top shape. I started with the trailer out of necessity... new tires, new wiring harness and all new lights. Soon it will go to the shop for maintenance and repair of the Johnson 225. It will need new carpet and the gelcoat has some oxidation so that will have to be done. I plan on ordering original factory replacement seats from Dean's in Mountain Home. Anyway... lots to be done. I do have a question... probably the first of many... While I have the boat in the shop for motor repairs, should I pull off the hydraulic jackplate. Its a CMC 6 inch setback. I have no idea if it is in working order or not. That's not the concern... if it needs to be fixed or replaced, I'll do it. What I am more concerned about is getting the best handling out of my boat as possible. Now... I know how it handled before - with the plate... and I have no complaints. But since I have essentially no experience in a 201 without the added setback, I thought that I would ask here what you think. Should I keep the jackplate or not.