Update on the Jackplate & Prop Configuration

4strokes

Well I finally got the old BumbleBee out for the trial run since changing over to the Ballistic 13 & 3/8 X 19 prop and removing the hydrofoil.

The boat was a pure azz dog and would not even think about a decent hole shot with this set-up, had to lower the trim almost all the way down to start moving. Then once it got above 25 mph I upped the trim and it felt like it was shot out of a cannon all the way up 54 mph and climbing.

Very dangerous though because the steering became so tight I could barely move it !

It would start to porpoise real bad when I let off the gas from between 30 & 40 mph and while I was running WOT the tach was hitting above 6100 again so that ain't gonna cut it they way it's set-up right now.

Got it home and lowered the jackplate to where it was originally with the stock prop but wont know if that helped until I take it back out.

The stock prop didn't have any cup in it and seemed to like the raised jackplate but this Ballistic prop sure as hell didn't like it :confused:

One other thing that really bothers me about this boat is how low is sits in the rear, I'm talking real low, like the splash well drain plugs at the top of the transom are actually submerged when sitting still and when I back off the boat at any speed the water just pours over the transom.

I've checked the hull for holding any extra water and it doesn't seem abnormal when I pull the drain plug after I put it back on the trailer. The transom is rock hard as is everything else in the rear of the boat so nothing is waterlogged or rotted out and holding extra weight.

I wonder if having that 110 V4 mounted on a jackplate is causing the boat to sit this low in the water since it's only a 16 footer... just doesn't seem right to me at all !!!

But of course the 18 gal. gas tank, 30 gal. live well, and 3 batteries are mounted back there too ... to much weight maybe ? This boat has a pretty aggressive V on the front along with a step pad on the rear so that has to be pushing the rear down some I would think.

I guess I could fill it with helium :D

Any Ideas ... ????