1. Welcome to BBM , We hope you enjoy your stay! Registration is FREE!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Trailer refinish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bryan Hurlburt, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Bryan Hurlburt

Bryan Hurlburt Gitzit man - New York Moderator BBM Staff Member

Any of you had a trailer refinished professionally? Just wondering what a average price would be. I am really pissed that I am even doing it as the trailer is only three years old. Bad metal prep

2. D-wayne

D-wayne Fisherman

What type brand etc of trailer?
    Fiberglass or metal work?
    How is the undercarrage?
    How about the wirering?

3. Bryan Hurlburt

Bryan Hurlburt Gitzit man - New York Moderator BBM Staff Member

It is a Marine Master trailer. Strictly just stripping and removing surface rust and paint

4. D-wayne

D-wayne Fisherman

If you strip the whole trailer to bare metal and you dont mind ugly grey then I would recommend galvanize paint. Never rust again. If there is a dip shop around its the best treatment and the trailer stays looking new for decadeds

Bryan Hurlburt likes this.
  5. bass2reds

bass2reds Weapon of bass destruction

IMG_0607.JPG I feel your pain Bryan. Had my steel trailer rust out on my old Bass Nautique but they were able to weld in a new piece. It was the cross member at the rear. After that my next boat I ordered galvanized. Not pretty and matching but worked well down here where even Okeechobe still has some salt.
    Then when I ordered my current boat, a flats skiff, I paid $1600 extra for an aluminum I-Beam and stainless trailer which has had zero issues after 14 years, still on original bearings and wheels. The problem with most steel bassboat trailers is that they are made from tube which allows water in through penetrations for lights and other screwed in fittings but then it can't all get out so the moisture festers in there forever. I agree with getting the galvanize dip as an option but it may be more cost effective to just replace it because stripping it completely is a lot of work and then the galvanizing can still fail at any screw hole. Good luck.

Bryan Hurlburt likes this.
  6. Laus3

Laus3 Public Relations BBM Staff Member

Wow, I remember that boat. Too bad it hasn't seen water in 2 years :p

7. Laus3

Ron, where you been man? We gotta get back on the water and share some good times! Been way too long dude. I don't wanna hear about your back or your home improvement projects bro! I'm going to Lake O this Sunday. I think its time to get her wet again...

8. bass2reds

Who are you again....oh yeah, the guy the fake 8 pounder he keeps using in pictures! Just kidding, my boat has been wet a few times this year already. Took it to Lake Ida recently and fished docks and sea walls all day.
    Everything is working so I put it safely back in the garage. Have had to work a lot of Saturdays so with 6 day work weeks I'm just not into taking her out that much lately. My co-worker is fishing King of the Glades this year and you guys need to meet someday. His name is Bill Moors. Look for him at your next tourney. He fishes with a guy named Mike. He and I have been fishing for almost 30 years even in the Ghost and Goblins and some saltwater dolphin tournaments.

9. Laus3

So you wanna do lake O tomorrow buddy?

10. bass2reds

Can't do that on short notice, just spent $300 on LED's to change all the lights in my house and also have to clean and wax my truck tomorrow. Next week we have tickets to the Delray Tennis Classic so that's not good either. We will get together this Spring and tear them up in the Glades or Big O soon. Still can't get that last trip there with the lightning bolts out of my head when my Yammy kept stalling in the storm in open water. Spooked me a lot. I think a couple of my. Rods are still glowing!

11. Laus3

Haha yeah that storm came out of nowhere but we had a great day. Nice seeing you out in the water sharing some laughs and good times. March 5th is KOTG round 3 out of Clewiston in case you wanna join us. Get a partner out there, pay $40 each and have a chance at some good $$$ for ole times sake!

12. Thread Status: You only have permission to view the first post in this thread.