Things that can and will happen while boating.

egreen024

OK, guys this one should be interesting, what I am trying to acomplish here is for members to post "close calls" things that could end up in desaster, accidents, damage to boats, brake downs etc. while on the water and what was the soluction at the time and what would you do now that you have time to review ocurrences at that given day. In other words share a story we us, I know I got a few on my belt, some simple and funny (only thing that happen was a little embarrasement) other times more serious and complicated situations that could ruin the day, Anyway I start with the most recent:

This happen in a sunny day late June 2009, As you all know my boat had just gone thrue major repair, (change of engine, from brand X to brand Y and change of everything else that that involves) didn't know that replacing an engine required pretty much replacement of every wire on boat and control for that matter. work went well and I did learn a lot about my boat, I have taken out boat a couple times out and no problems whatsoever, untill this one day I decided to invite two friends for a nice day of fishing. After a few runs I decided to move again, their were some waves from other boats and I jumped this wave that made boat land hard and didn't stall but I lost trottle, told my friends not to worry and with engine still running I went down under dash, see if wires were ok or what happen instructed the guys that anything happen shot off engine and keep an eye for other boats around us. I knew that problem was with trottle cables or box, so I put my hand in there and I could feel the cables, one was on outside of box, and back of box was very loose, since I could not see it and just pushed cable back in place and everything went back to normal ... that is, until the next wave, little one this time, go back there again and when I pushed cable in place boat start going at about 15mph, Yes, I got my feet up in the air and I'm down there where your feet should be, I said to myself,"no problem just pull kill switch right?" well no, "kill sitch" didn't kill anything, so quickly I got up and steered boat in a safe direction and shot key off, well key didn't shot engine off either, don't know why, so now I got two guys looking at me with the WTF look on their faces and I'm already thinking on what to do next, how could I prevent gas from going to motor? how could I shot this thing off? don't want to ruin motor either, so all Idid was playing with ltrottle lever , (rpm's went up and it most have been reeving at 3k). finally withing a few seconds I moved shifter again and it shot off engine, think it went back to neutral and it shot off thank God. Few minutes later called mechanic and two hours later we taking trottle box apart, and rebuilding it, box's back plate was a very lite plastic cover, we reenforced and put everything back together, gave it a test and everything worked fine, the kill switch was a wire from the igniction to kill switch that got loose, after puting this wire back both kill switch and key were working fine. Why key didn't kill the engine. I got no idea, but gave it a test now and it kills engine, kill switch works, and I can jump waves no problem now. Nowe this could be a disaster had there be more boats on river, or instead of low rpm's had engine go to wot and we could all be throw off boat and boat could be going by itself and no captain.
Got more stories from putting boat on water without, plug, falling off my cruiser at dock, broken engine etc., but before let me know about some of your encounters, remember our misshapes might prevent others that read about them from commiting the same mistakes.
Safe boating!!!