The "Skinny" on Running a Bass Boat in Shallow water.

My unofficial guide to using a bass boat in shallow water…..
<o></o>
I am NO EXPERT, but this will make a trip into the backwaters a bit more enjoyable.
This is based on water 2 ft. and less.
<o></o>
Gear needed:<o></o>

• Push Pole. With sand or mud attachment (which ever is needed in your area)
  • GPS (not necessarily a need but its really nice to have)
  • Patience
  • Hydraulic jack plate.
  • Water Pressure gage.
  • Small wire brush
  • 8” of small bailing wire.
<o></o> OK, we have the basic extra gear needed for fishing skinny water. So now you are probably wondering why, well if anyone fishes any type of river system will have some type of backwaters. Backwaters can hold some of the best bass and other fish especially in the springtime.
<o></o>
A few rules to follow in venturing into backwater territory:<o></o>

• BE PATIENT! Do not go blasting away on plane getting to what you think is a deep lake, yea it may look deep but it may be only 6” deep in some areas. (We all know rivers fluctuate in level like gas prices) Instead idle around off of plane so if you were to run too shallow you can back off with a push pole with ease. Then find another route. Chances are there are 8-10ft holes around and holding many bass.
  • Trim up. When idling around it’s a good idea to trim up to the point you are in tilt. Just to get the skeg and prop out of “harms way” if you were to hit a stump it will have less damage to your boat. Keep in mind if you are unsure, slow down.
  • If you were to encounter a stump, record it via way point on your GPS. Chances are there will be more in that general area mark as many as you find, for two reasons. 1. Bass usually hold there, and you know where not to go when the big motor is running.
  • Stay off of island points. Instead follow the middle of islands don’t hug too close and don’t cut points too short. More than likely if there is any slight current silt will build up on the backside of points making them VERY shallow and can damage your boat.
  • Idling through thick vegetation keep an eye on the water pressure gage, as soon as its blocked the motor will begin to overheat. Use wires or a brush to unclog water pickup holes.
<o></o> OK so you have made sure that the path you took to get to the backwaters is safe by traveling the same general path over and over idling around and is deep enough to venture through without harm to people and equipment.
<o></o>
While fishing:<o></o>

• Trim motor out of water, to minimize hitting obstructions.
  • Adjust trolling motor all the way up to the point where you can’t go up any higher without cavitation.
  • If vegetation is extremely thick use a push pole. They are light weight, strong and can get you around without using the snot out of your trolling motor. I would suggest a point attachment when maneuvering around thick moss, less sticks to the pole.
<o></o> Getting back to the ramp:
<o></o>
The hardest thing about driving a bass rig on pad in skinny water is the transition on and off plane. Here is a few tips.
<o></o>
Getting on plane from idle: (need at least 2ft of water don’t think about it on anything less)<o></o>

• Although not necessary a hydraulic jack plate helps raise it up all the way. Yea when you are running mach 5 it will be too tall but you should have plenty of water getting to 25mph. just keep an eye on your water pressure gauge.
  • I would suggest a 4 blade low pitch prop for shallow water. Don’t get me wrong the current high speed 3 blade prop you have will work too its just a bit trickier.
  • If the lower unit hits bottom or blows out just before you start to get out of the hole watch the wake behind you it will lift your boat then hit the throttle again and that will give you the extra “room” you need for a hole shot.
  • Follow your initial line on your GPS, I would highly suggest not venturing off of that at all.

Driving on plane:

Trim up higher than you would normally, yea I know it wastes power and looks cool with a 15 foot rooster tail but it creates an angle for vegetation to slip off your lower unit.
    Going through mud and sand, yep that polish job you just got done on that new prop is gone….sorry. It only takes just a split second now you have a nice “satin” prop, and there goes the paint on the bottom of your lower unit. ( a bare lower unit is like a right of passage to fellow backwater fisherman it just shows you have been “around”)
    WATCH YOUR WATER PRESSURE!!!!
    If you ever feel unsure or in doubt slow down….it beats getting a tow back to the ramp.
    Don't forget to lower your jack plate to your original height for proper bite and water pressure.

Slowing down:

As you slow down, coming off of plane in shallow water normally you would trim down to prevent proposing…well kill the power slowly while trimming up to the point it doesn’t act like a dolphin. It will stick the bow in the air a bit more but it keeps your prop and lower unit out of the mud.

Conclusion:

Hope this helps to find the spawning flats/hidden holes where the lunkers hide in springtime river fishing.
    Running in Skinny water is dangerous, always use your PFD and kill switch.

This guide is only intended for reference only. As always use at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator: