SPONSORS or NOT

iceman555

At what level do you think a fisherman should look at sponsors? should it be at the amateur level? The PRO level? As a boater or as a co-angler? Most entry level sponsors will offer a discount on their products and allow you to purchase a fishing shirt with their LOGO as a member of their "PRO STAFF". When does it make sense? Here are 2 examples;
1) I fished Stanley Spinner baits and Tons of Ribbits, I sought them out as a sponsor. Now I buy my baits way under retail! I can buy a dozen spinner baits for the price of 3 at Wal-mart. My Ribbits I now buy a dozen packs at a time! I already fished the baits, loved them and spoke highly of them. My opinion this was a good partnership!
2) One of my best friends has many sponsors. One of which is Minn-kota which he has been with for several years. He fishes FLW tour, FLW series, and BASS as a co-angler. He does not own a boat and does not intend to and does not own a trolling motor! Is this a good partnership for either party. He can get trolling motors a huge discount, but like I said he has no boat!

If you as a fisherman want to look at sponsorship look to the companies of the tackle, equipment, and products that you use and believe in. Because if you go looking just to find a logo to add to your shirt you are doing a disservice to you and the perspective company!