Pickwick Lake report 9/25 and 9/26

Alright guys I made it back. Sorry it took a couple of days to report just been busy. Friday my fishin buddy and me met up with our guide in Iuka, Mississippi. I must say this guy really knows his stuff when it comes to Pickwick. I will give him props, his name is Roger Stegall and if you need a guide for Pickwick he is the man! F.Y.I. his website is www.fishpickwick.com.

Anyways conditions were less than ideal to say the least. Recent torrential rains had the lake up quite a bit, but they had both dams open and pulling current just as fast as possible. This in turn made for a fair fishing day with the current, using plastic worms, spinnerbaits, and red eye shads. We fished from Bear Creek down river. Just guessing we caught probably 20-25 largemouth and 1 smally. The size of the fish were good chunky fish in the 2 to 3 pound range, no big fish.

Saturday, safe daylight came and we hammered down from McFarland park upriver towards Bear Creek. This was alot longer run than I had antisipated. We got there and started fishing with topwater and spinnerbaits. Had our 5 fish limit fairly quick. and then started noticing the skies tuning black and rumbles of thunder in the background. Saw the rain coming and we took off down river to a bridge(have no idea what bridge this was, the first and only bridge coming from McFarland Park) bridge to seek shelter from the rain and lightning. The water level had dropped about 2ft! and NO CURRENT:( Totally different conditions from the day before. After getting rained on for a couple of hours we started hunting for bigger fish. I hate to say it but we could not find any bigger fish. We ended up with only 9lbs for 5 fish. Oh well. Still had a great time and would like to go back to find the bigger fish and some smallmouth. 1st place had an amazing 18lbs. Knowing him and his partner they probly flipped all day. 2nd and 3rd place was in the 12 pound range and the wieght went downhill from there.
Still had a great time!