need opinions...

hey folks,

I've got an option to buy a 1985 370v ranger with a merc 175 on it. I can get the boat for about 2000-2300 at most...(guy needs money pretty bad)I took a look at the boat and the transom seems to be solid with no flex when I put weight on the motor. the top cap has good color and isn't really faded much at all. carpet and flooring isn't bad, but i'll replace carpet anyway. I couldn't find any soft spots or weakness in the floor. it has an onboard 2 bank charger that works as well. newer motor guide 70# trolling motor(probably 4-7 years old maybe)

the problems...

- the usual stuff...carbs need to be rebuilt, new water pump and impeller, plugs, etc...haven't gotten compression check done yet, but i will have it checked before I buy. boat runs out pretty well actually, but I wouldn't consider not doing these things...
- prop acts like hub is spinning out, tries to over-rev coming out of the hole, 25 pitch, so I don't think it is a pitch problem...guy actually has a new hub in the boat, but hasn't replaced it yet...
- 1 live well plugged off, 1 operational, but I would figure on replacing aerators
- gauges are marginal, speedo vacuum tube has been cut and taped up for some reason...may work with tube repair...some gauges seem to work, others not...I guess that's about par for the course...
- trailer is a ranger trail with surge brakes, but somewhere down the line the surge brakes were disconnected instead of repaired and the tongue was changed to a non-surge type...trailer in decent shape, side bunks need carpet, no biggie there I guess...
- missing center seat from the bench, carpeted like a step now, may actually like that better...other seats ok...
- few spider cracks in various spots but don't see any big cracks around the transom splash well, looks like some small surface cracks...
- trolling motor cable is broken and mounts that hold it in position when down are cracked and possible broken. did confirm that the motor worked good other than that...

sure there are some good and bad things I haven't listed...

here is my dilemma. I have a good 1990 model Swift 17'6" with a 150 merc on it. boat does good and is solid. it is an older boat as well obviously, but I've got it going pretty well, and I've had a good time renovating it. my question is if this ranger a better option than the swift? i'm I nuts to be considering an even older boat? assuming compression is ok with the older as well...

I don't mind a mini project that this would be, but still...

opinions?

thanks in advance,

neal