Just One Rod...

Revenant

Active Fisherman
A lot of us have rods for just about every single condition but lets say you had to do a tournament and the rules said you could have only one rod, reel, and one spare spool out of whatever arsenal you have now (Don't just say the most expensive thing in the catalog!). What would you bring and why?

This thread might be helpful for the budget constrained guys.

As for me:

BPS Carbon Black Baitcaster 6:4:1 with Flipping Switch
BPS Carbon Light Rod 6'6" MH - Fast Normal Guides
Spool 1: 14LB BPS XPS Flurocarbon
Spool 2: 12LB Suffix Elite Mono

The Carbon Black has been my favorite reel and were so good they cut into the sales of the BPS Johnny Morris stuff. They felt like a $200 Revo but were priced as low as $69. The 6 ratio is the only one with a flipping switch, and is a good baseline.

The Carbon Light rods are a bargain. I went with Medium Heavy because it gives me a solid back bone for jigs, worms, and spinnerbaits. The fast tip is soft enough that combined with a flexable mono can be used for most crank baits. I loose deep diving cranks and small finesse baits with this setup.

14LB XPS Fluro is the best Fluro I've fished, and 14LB is a good compromise between strength and castability.

12LB Suffix Elite is a thin diameter stretchy mono which I used for crank baits when the cover isn't too thick. It has almost no memory, and casts for miles, but gives up some knot strength and gets scratched up pretty quick.