1. More Boating and Fishing Information Then You Can Handle!

FREE REGISTRATION

For Best Results : Use Google Chrome to View Our Site!

2. Do you own a Marina, Guide Service, or Dealership?

Get it listed in our BBM Directory! Its Free Advertising For Your Company!

Click Here For Our Business Directory

3. Check Our Our Boating and Fishing Classifieds Section

Click Here For Our Classifieds Section

how to use trim on a bass boat

Discussion in 'The BBM - Lounge - General Discussions' started by BigBass, Jun 8, 2010.

1. BigBass

BigBass Staff Member Fleet Admiral

Featured:

Driving a bass boat is not difficult. It can be done by anyone who can drive a car and who has some basic sense of how an outboard operates.

Bass boats are commonplace on America's waters. Thousands are owned and operated mostly by fishermen, but also by casual weekend boaters. Many of these boats are capable of going faster than 70 miles per hour, and they are frequently bought and operated by people who have had little or no experience at driving a performance watercraft.
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p> </O:p>
    Actually, driving a bass boat is not difficult. It can be done by anyone who can drive a car and who has some basic sense of how an outboard operates. The most important thing is to use good common sense and to never operate a boat in conditions you're not completely comfortable with. Starting with this foundation, it's easy to learn how to operate a bass boat in its maximum performance envelope.

The first step is proper rigging. How well a boat performs and how safe it is depends in large part on how its component pieces are assembled. A boat that is rigged properly will deliver top performance. On the other hand, a boat that is rigged improperly will perform poorly, or even dangerously. Boat owners who have questions or who have experienced problems they suspect are related to improper rigging should contact their boat maker's factory representative.

To Read More
  2. jkk

jkk Active Member

Featured:

So easy even a cave man could do it!
  3. Crazy D

Crazy D Member

Featured:

I think this thread should be a sticky thread in the Ramp forum , and not in the general discussion forum .

I have 2 questions .

1. My triton has a trim gauge on the dash .

And before i take off out of the hole , i trim down a little bit , so the trim gauge needle is a little to the left of the halfway mark on the gauge .

When i hit about 15-20mph i trim it up so the gauge needle is in the middle . And i can tell the boat speeds up quicker all the way to wide open speed (54mph)

In that article above , it says to trim ALL the way down when you take off . Do you guys do that ? Cause my boat can trim down alot . And it would seem that if you are trimmed down to the max , it would take a long time to trim your engine to the middle point , while you are on the throttle .

2. My boat doesn't go any faster when i hit 54 mph and i try to trim up farther than the halfway point on the gauge . So when i run at wide open throttle full top speed , my gauge needle is right in the middle .

Do guys ever trim up past the middle mark ? Cause that would mean your prop would be slightly pointing towards the sky .

Personally , i would think the best position would be so the motor would be parallel with the boat (so the trim needle would be right in the middle of the gauge) .
  4. 1FASTLASER

1FASTLASER Active Member

Featured:

Crazy D you are correct about the trim angle but you have to take into consideration of the differences in the hulls out there. There is no way you can "generalize" all the boats and gauges.......each boat and hull configuration is different and the way that the boats are loaded..shoot you can have 2 boats identical in make engine size evrything identical and they will run differently .....I could go on and on....SO

The only thing that stays constant in this everending hunt is the fact that YES the propshaft on a boat when it has the correct setup ie prop,load ,setback etc etc should be as close to parallel with the running surface as possible. Your rooster tail should in fact be lower than the cowel on your engine when running flat out. WHen it gets higher your blowing water into the air.......looks cool but is inefficient. EACH and EVERY boat out there will be slightly different for various reasons.......that is the key to getting your ride optimized and that is finding that sweet spot...then duplicationg it time and again.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
  5. Crazy D

Crazy D Member

Featured:

Thanks 1FL , makes sense :cheers:

And i meant this should be a sticky in the bass boating tips forum and not the general discussion . I think people would see it more and understand how to trim a bass boat and respond on how they run their boat .
  6. aroney bassmaster

aroney bassmaster Guest

Featured:

Mine is all the way down when I start and as soon as the boat starts to break over is when I hit the trim up to between a quarter and half
  7. Dadilator

Dadilator Member

Featured:

I always start trimmed all the way down, then trim all the way up, which is 1/2 gauge, as it rolls. Still setting up my engine height, I've just raised it again and will be able to test it this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some trim left after hitting that sweet spot
  8. Eesctom

Eesctom BBM Current Events Admiral

Featured:

I was experimenting with the trim this weekend. Do you know if you have trimmed up too far once you see water pressure strat to drop slightly. My water pressure was between 14 and 15 and when i added the last little bit of trim it got down to around 10-11. the roostyer tail was close to the top of the motor. I figured if water pressure was dropping then it was trimmed to far up. I was making slight adjustments to trim just to see the effect and try to mark it on my trim gauge for future reference. I did get some wobble in the front at about 60 but not sure if this was a trim issue or just needing to get the hang of the steering trick.
  9. JESTERxHEAD

JESTERxHEAD New Member

Featured:

mine seems to pop out of the hole pretty good.... I trim down to the max. as soon as I punch the throttle I am trimming up at the same time when it breaks I am off to the races........ I do not use my trim gage. I usually go by feel, boat attitude and rpm. to find the sweet spot....trim angle changes when you have different weight in the boat. etc. So the middle of the gage may work most of the time but ya may be able to squeeze another 1-2mph by finding that "sweet spot"
  10. aroney bassmaster

aroney bassmaster Guest

Featured:

You are right there except for one thing. Your boat ain't goin nowhere right now.
  11. JESTERxHEAD

JESTERxHEAD New Member

Featured:

hahhahahahaha.....yea that one is in pieces.....I have more than one boat though.... ;)
  12. Crazy D

Crazy D Member

Featured:

I was on the water today and practicing my take offs .

I trimmed down alot (almost all the way down) before i took off . And when i did this , the boat's nose stays pretty much down when i take off . Then i trimmed up to the halfway mark on my gauge , as the boat sped up . It seemed like i got going faster doing it this way .

Before , i would trim down just a little bit before take off , and the nose of the boat would raise up high , then come down as i gained speed and trim up .

Is that the idea ? Are you supposed to try to keep the nose down when taking off ? I'm guessing cause i have it more trimmed down when i take off the boat pushes forward instead of trying to push the boat nose upward .

And when i am doing this , i am wide open throttle when i take off ( foot to the floor)
  13. clm6741

clm6741 Phoenix MadMan

Featured:

Crazy,

Yeah you should be trimmed all the way down when you start out, it will lower your bow and allow the boat to get on pad faster.

I think sometimes people are confused about trimming up at wide open throttle. When you are trimming the motor up as you are running you are not pushing the prop up out of the water or at a crazy angle, you are actually pushing the hull of the boat and the prop remains relatively at the same angle. It is hard to explain. When you trim your motor while your boat is on the trailer your motor moves and your boat just sits there. Well when you boat is in the water and that prop is BITING the water and you start to trim up it pushes the hull farther out of the water ( more bow lift). Does anyone see what im saying.

Big Rooster tails are bad. Rooster tails come from as you say (the prop facing the sky) well this happens when you trim up to quick before the speed is up to where it needs to be. In other word the motor and prop can only push the boat up (bow Lift) so fast.So if you continue to trim up and the boat is not "ready" to come up higher yet ( kinda like take off speed for an airplane) then the prop angle does change in the water and the back of the prop is facing the sky and bam you get a rooster tail.

Just a way of looking at the relationship between trim, prop and lift. Trim down on take off unless your real light then you may can get away with not as much down trim. as you break over start trimming up.
  14. Nichor02

Nichor02 Asst. Operations Director Staff Member Admiral (3 Star)

Featured:

I see exactly what your saying clm. And to me, that's the best way to explain it. I know when I take off, I'm trimmed all the way down. When she planes out, then I start working my trim. When I open her up all the way, I start with her running about half throttle. I bump the trim up to I'm thinking what Jester is calling the sweet spot. I watch my tach, and speedometer. I can tell where she peaks at. As soon as she peaks, I give her all the throttle. She definately takes off then. It's a cool rush feeling the way she just keeps picking up speed.
  15. genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Featured:

Trim
    Trim is the angle of the motor in relation to the hull, as illustrated below. The ideal trim angle is the one in which the boat rides level, with most of the hull on the surface instead of plowing through the water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the motor is trimmed out too far, the bow will ride too high in the water. With too little trim, the bow rides too low. The optimal trim setting will vary depending on many factors including speed, hull design, weight and balance, and conditions on the water (wind and waves). Many large outboards are equipped with power trim, an electric motor on the mounting bracket, with a switch at the helm that enables the operator to adjust the trim angle on the fly. In this case, the motor should be trimmed fully in to start, and trimmed out (with an eye on the tachometer) as the boat gains momentum, until it reaches the point where further trim adjustment results in an RPM reduction. Motors not equipped with power trim are manually adjustable.