1. Welcome to BBM , We hope you enjoy your stay! Registration is FREE!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Gel coat damage

Discussion in 'Bass Boating Tips' started by Bryan Hurlburt, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bryan Hurlburt

Bryan Hurlburt Gitzit man - New York Moderator BBM Staff Member

Hello BBM friends. So I just made a round trip excursion from Upstate New York to Georgetown, Florida with my 2014 Triton 17 Pro in tow. The trip went well other than gel coat repairs now needed. I had my wife make cushions of sort out of thick pile microfiber to go around the straps of my travel cover to prevent stuffing of gel coat. It instead trapped sand and salt from roads and removed gel down to glass. Yes polyflake too. After a temporary seal as to not ruin vacation I used the boat and left microfiber off. After the trip home the other side wore through gel. Am I not supposed to use the cover or what? I made sure that the straps stayed tight. Should I have the straps go around the trailer frame? It is the custom cover that came with the boat

2. gonefishing7903

gonefishing7903 New Member's Liason BBM Staff Member

I have seen straps that went around the trailer from instead of around the hull. Back when I had a cover there was only a drawstring around the hem of the cover with a ratchet strap in the back to keep it tight. If I remember correctly this is how my uncle's ranger facorty cover works too.

I've heard more than one pro recommend towing without the cover on except during periods of heavy rain. There reasoning is fuel economy of course.

3. Bryan Hurlburt

This cover has a strap that runs around the boat, inside the cover with two ratchets. It also has two that go under. I can't imagine what the inside of my boat would have looked like with all the sand and salt that was on the road!

4. Laus3

Laus3 Public Relations BBM Staff Member

My old boat cover also damaged my boat's coat and also stained my new seats. After getting a canopy for storing the boat, i stopped using the boat cover all together. I don't use the cover when I travel either. All that sand and salt sprays right off with a good hose :p

5. remington

remington Champion Boat Officer BBM Staff Member

I'm NOT chest thumping when I say this......I have spent my entire life around the bass boat biz in one form or another. I've seen some of the greatest boat travel covers ever made and FAIL, at one time or another. I was always taught from some very knowledgeable men in the biz that "Covers are for STORING, not TOWING." I've pulled bass boats all over the country, coverless and had nothing that a few quarters and 10 minutes at a car wash couldn't clean up. And for the record I have a very well built Pats Custom Travel Cover for my Champ that I never use except as a dust cover cause I keep mine in the garage when not used. Sorry your cover failed you, best of luck on your repair.

6. Bryan Hurlburt

Tha
    Thans for the info. I hear it....after the first night of travel my boat had gone from black to completely white from salt and sand. A bad time to travel indeed. I also was using the boat for luggage also. Got to figure something else out.