1. Welcome to BBM , We hope you enjoy your stay! Registration is FREE!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

evinrude vs yamaha sho

Discussion in 'High Performance Questions' started by brady, Mar 31, 2016.

1. brady

brady New Member

Looking at a 175hp motor, the 2 choices are evinrude and the yamaha sho.
    Can i get some pros and cons on each from those who have had some experience with either motor

Kevin likes this.
  2. kipp

kipp Special Operations BBM Staff Member

I will give you an answer brady..Non of the active posters on here have any experience with either of these motors..it would probably go blank the way you asked it. ..sorry.
    For as the 175 Evinrude goes, for 2016 they don't test that motor for Bass Boat applications in the USA.At least on their website anyway..Ive never seen one on a Bass Boat...Now the HO 150 motor is all performance and Bass Hull designed..I t could be gearcase size and footprint in the water for their 175..They run them on ski,pleasure and Pontoon boats..Shoot the 175 Rude is 50 lbs lighter than the HPDI Yamaha 175 2 Stroke which the Yamaha 175 SHO is replacing
    I like all brand of motors..Its dealer sensitive for me..So Merc gets the nod.all around me.
    The SHO 175 is making good waves on the Skeeter 190s..

Kevin likes this.
  3. gonefishing7903

gonefishing7903 New Member's Liason BBM Staff Member

kipp is right i dont have first hand experience with either specific model. that being said i would lean towards the SHO simply because of experiences with other yamaha motors. im not saying the evenrude isnt a good motor but i have no experience with them since their aquisition by bombadier.

Kevin likes this.
  4. brady

brady New Member

Ok thanks for the replies guys, if i was to go 150hp instead would there be much difference in top speed between evinrude HO and mercury four stroke?

5. gonefishing7903

gonefishing7903 New Member's Liason BBM Staff Member

the merc is 37lbs heavier for starters. between the two id go with the evenrude and get a better hooe shot and probably faster top end

Kevin likes this.
  6. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

One of the performance tricks often overlooked on rudes is the magnum in my case lightning gearcase with high speed intake screens added it can be run up to 1 in below pad.Naturally a psi gauge would be advisable.
    Still have a cnc eagle 150 considered stock ncaa puts out 183,ran 82 with an Allison 2002 T,29p chopper,12 in bobs hydraulic jp.A rude awaking pumped 200 only did 91-92,somewhat due to same gearing.

7. kipp

kipp Special Operations BBM Staff Member

The Eagle OMC Motors were the real deal..Correct me, but there were after the GT/XP motors that came out in like 1991.?.
    Which the 92/93 150 was rated out of the box , somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 hp I was once told...They were called Fast Strike(Johnson) and Intruder (Evinrude)..Same basic specs and powerplant rocked on till Bombardier bought Evinrude and Johnson went away..Few tiller handle 4 strokes for Johnson is all I saw.
    Then comes the Etec..
    Don't see to many Etecs in the 150/200 range in my neck of the woods...Merc dealers everywhere..lol

8. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Yes ive had one xp 150 and two gt 200,yes afterward few eagles excelled out of the box,johnson electrics help that out.Few people think of tricking out an omc,and fewer aftermarket items,yet fairly easy to do comparitively.The lightening 1 gearcse got merc filing complaints,thus a 2 then a magnum.Long forgotten was the rotary rude well ahead of its time.Oddly my etec shares almost same gear ratio thus same speed limitations.Merc having gearing special order has always had an edge in partiular since the rude speed or racing team was discontinued,and or nonavailable to public.Not that you can buy the same motor that sets records from anyone ,one cant just some of the options.Like many of the fishing rods the pros use and endorse are special made just for them.
    That said yamaha has all kinds of add on kits,or packages one can buy.After market items galore.

9. Thread Status: You only have permission to view the first post in this thread.