1. More Boating and Fishing Information Then You Can Handle!

FREE REGISTRATION

For Best Results : Use Google Chrome to View Our Site!

2. Do you own a Marina, Guide Service, or Dealership?

Get it listed in our BBM Directory! Its Free Advertising For Your Company!

Click Here For Our Business Directory

3. Check Our Our Boating and Fishing Classifieds Section

Click Here For Our Classifieds Section

Best Ohio Fishing

Discussion in 'The BBM - Lounge - General Discussions' started by 90profx, Jan 21, 2009.

1. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

NONE...............

You'll have to leave the state boundries for any good fishing :(:(:(

Lake Erie, Ky Lake, Barkley etc.
  2. BlueWaterMike

BlueWaterMike bluewaterled.com

Featured:

Talked to a guy last night who lives in Cincinnati. He drives 50 minutes to Brookeville in Indiana and says the smallie fishing is really good at night.
  3. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

Hey Mike,

I agree, Brookville is about a 40 minute drive for me as well, but again......Gotta leave the Buckeye State :mad::mad:
  4. downtime

downtime Moral Officer

Featured:

C J Brown near Springfield has descent eye's and Indian is so so. But love Norris Lake in Tennessee.
  5. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

Spent a weekend down on Norris Lake last year, did fair for a newbee on that lake. I remember a spot I was on where these hawgs were just cruise'n the drop off the bank in about 3-4 foot of water and I threw everything I had at them, they just kept on going.....................:(
  6. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Featured:

Agree mostly lived in southern ohio ,moved here as wanted to fish recreational and T fish,as wife isnt a healthy creature and couldnt spend the night away to go far.
    Did generally catch fish in deer creek.Main difference between ohio and tn,in ohio one looks for a 12 in keeper,in Tn one looks for the kicker 5 lbr.
    I do believe it or not miss fishing the ohio river,won 782 dollars once with one fish a 4 lb 8 oz smallie,here it wouldnt even raise an eyebrow,let alone get big fish.
    Since I live near ky lake am out generally every week,no traveling except around the various places to launch at,works for me as limited on distance and time,due to wifes health.
  7. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

Your kill'n me.............I guess someone has to live near such a nice lake like Ky Lake, might as well be you :):)

I've fished Barkley years ago and had a great time catching some quality fish. Hope to give KY Lake a try this year, maybe fall.
  8. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Featured:

Having moved happiness can be defined as being presented with the problem of culling ,with no weight system which one do you release the 16 1/2 largemouth or the 17 in smallie.
    Ive since bought a lil scale,but still enjoy being presented with such a problem.
  9. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

I should find myself presented with a decision like that around here....:D
  10. Bullet20dc

Bullet20dc Active Member

Featured:

Around here the smallie will be released in a TX without even looking at a scale every time
  11. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Featured:

Most of the smallies here arnt like the scrappy river smallies of the ohio river,and a 15 in spot will outweigh the 15-16 largemouth at many times of the year.
    And yes while some T will allow for spots at 12 in ,have weighed in several over 15 in.
    And for some strange reason never have one 12 to 15.
    Was primarily a spotted bass fisherman back in ohio,as the river is chock full of them.Just no size,like here.
    Most of the fish here are rather chunky in comparison,a 15 in fish here will weigh about 2-2 1/4lbs,it takes a 16 in largemouth to be that in the ohio river.Growth rate has a lot to do with it,I believe along with available food.
    My best ohio river smallie weighed in at 4lb 8 oz and was 20 1/4 in long,here that same fish is well over 5 lbs and about 1 lb heavier.
  12. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

Those days of fish'n for good sized fish out of the Ohio must have been sometime ago. There is so much fishing pressure now on the river that the hopes of a good sized fish have turned to dreams. I'm not saying "It just ain't gonna happen", what I am saying is that it's far more difficult to find and catch those kind of fish these days. I'm by far not the worlds greatest fisherman, but those I know who fish the river around here in Tourny's all agree...........:)
  13. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Featured:

I fished primarily parked barges,those that say do not load retired are the best as arnt moved,grass tends to take root behind them,and spotted bass love the front ends,while largemouth like the back and back side between it and the bank.
    You are correct in the assumption its for small fish normally as had to catch 15 to get one 12 in fish,on many days.
    Backwaters like white oak are decent,but normally overfished.
    Pays not to get between the barge and its mooring post as they do move around.
  14. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

I totally agree. I mainly stay down river. I put in at Tanners Creek in Indiana and fish from there down river to the dam. Fishing in the creeks on the KY & IN side is spotty at best because of the heavy pressure from those who put in where I do and don't go far from home so to speak. The further down river I go the better is gets (lack of constant pressure). There are 6 barges down river that as you said, don't move, 2 of them are sunk at a 45 degree angle (back end down). They generally hold some fish. There are also some spill ways from the power plants that produce some good fish now and then but it's more then than now............:( All in all I'm a River Rat, and enjoy the river allot. River fish'n is totally different than lake fish'n and I've learned that well. :D
  15. Southern Pro

Southern Pro Member

Featured:

For the last 26 years I have fished every lake in the state of Ohio and you are all overlooking the BEST Top Rated lake in the state..... Knox Lake in Fredericktown, OH. It is now open to unlimited H.P. and has an 18" slot limit. That means there are thousands of fish in the 17" and under range you will catch all day.
    Another sleeper is Clear Fork Lake in Mansfield, OH. My last tournament there I had an 18# bag of largemouth within 5 hours of the tournament with the Big Bass that day of 5#. I lost one fish over 7# at the boat!!!!
    True we have crappy lakes but there are some bright spots here in Ohio. Oh and did I mention the best smallmouth fishing in the world..... Lake Erie?
    Try the Portage River and East Harbor...... they will stand up to any lake in surrounding states and you do not have to leave the state boundaries.:D
  16. 90profx

90profx New Member

Featured:

Good post there Steve, that might be some new waters to go test out here in the state.
  17. downtime

downtime Moral Officer

Featured:

Steve,You said Clear Fork lake in Mansfield ? As I have a brother in law who lives east of Marion,I will have to check it out this spring. Tks again.
  18. lilmule

lilmule lilmule

Featured:

Not demeaning Ohio fishing I did love it,but different waters produce different fish,growth rate for a spotted bass is 5 years to 12 in in ohio.
    Here they hit it in 2,a 15 in largemouth will go 2 1/4 pds,takes a 16 in out of the ohio river.River smallies are scrappy but good fighters ,here one can catch a chunky one,4 lb 8z is 20 1/4 in, back where I came from, here its 19 in.
    A 16 1/2 in spot will weigh 3 lbs.
    The over 4lb that zooker caught was about -18 1/2,it just amazes me the growth rate and weight on these fish.
    Yet I miss my barge fishing.
    Just have to make up for it with milfoil froggin.