1. Welcome to BBM , We hope you enjoy your stay! Registration is FREE!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

automatic life vest

Discussion in 'Boating Safety and Safety Equipment' started by bulletmoose, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bulletmoose

bulletmoose New Member

wanting to upgrade to the auto life jackets. i know the mustang is highly recommended. just wondering if there are any more recomendations.

2. Laus3

Laus3 Public Relations BBM Staff Member

Yeah, Bass Pro makes a couple of great auto life jackets and for a lot cheaper than Mustang does. These are very comfortable and cost around $100 less than the Mustang ones do. I don't know about you but $100 buys me a lot of tackle :p

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 11.22.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 11.22.52 PM.png

Kevin likes this.
  3. Crankin'

Crankin' Crankin'

If you've owned one of these 'cheaper' Auto Inflate Life Jackets and had it to go off in the boat because of getting a little water on it will scare
    the 'crap' out of you. The more expensive Mustang Jacket is set off a couple of ways and has to be in about 4" of water before going off. I don't use
    them because at my age and lack of ability to swim very far if and accident should happen. I think the manufacturers of these Auto Inflate Jackets
    will warn you about these things. But the easier 'popping off ' of the cheaper jackets and the high cost of re-arming them makes them a non-issue
    for me. Apparently they work for everyone else but me............and they're nice, colorful, not to hot to wear on a hot day, doesn't restrain your casting
    ability......

Kevin likes this.
  4. boydn1

boydn1 Fisherman

Not sure about the "little water" vs 4' but. I've had mine (bass pro) for about 4 years and never inflated when I didn't want them to and cost about $20-35 to re-arm.

5. Crankin'

Crankin' Crankin'

My brother had his jacket laying in the passenger seat of my Triton and happened to lay a couple of rods on top of the jacket and water coming off the rods
    set the jacket off. I think a few drops must have fallen directly on the 'sensor', not sure, only know it wasn't raining. Damn thing sounded like a 12 ga.........

6. Laus3

I guess if you have the $$$ for a mustang life vest, more power to ya, I can't imagine spending $200-$250 on a life jacket.

7. Crankin'

Crankin' Crankin'

Me neither Laus, I've spent $60-70 in the past for a nice tournament jacket guaranteed to float you face up in case of an
    accident where you're thrown from the boat and thats as much as i'll let go of for that. But wearing a Mustang floatation
    jacket costing 2 or 250 just for the comfort just don't get it for me either. Of course if you've got the bucks to throw around
    i guess you can do whatever you want.

8. Laus3

I get the tournament comfort as you need to wear a life jacket any time your outboard is on. If I stayed in a club i would have gotten one of those bass pro life jackets and probably kept it on at all times since its so low profile... But yeah, $250 for recreational boating is insane. I'd rather use the $ on lures or fishing equipment lol

9. Crankin'

Crankin' Crankin'

Say, weren't you just in the Philipines on business or something? Looks like you got back just in time to
    miss the bad weather. You might have needed a great life jacket if you had of been there when it hit. Whoa!!!

10. Nichor02

Nichor02 Asst. Operations Director BBM Staff Member

I have a couple of the automatic vests, but just because we got them for very little. Their more comfortable, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money just to have them. I'm OK wearing the vest type. As long as I don't have to wear the old orange ones!

11. Crankin'

Crankin' Crankin'

I used to wear a Stearns float suit when i fished winter tournaments and i think that set-up cost less than $200 if i remember right.
    It would float you like a cork and was a very warm snowmobile like suit. Wasn't water proof though and if it rained it would finally
    get you pretty wet. Had to wear a rain suit over the thing and that wasn't much fun.

12. Nichor02

OK, I'm gonna jump on this one, bad as I hate to! How the heck was it a float suit, but wasn't waterproof? Lol..

13. gonefishing7903

gonefishing7903 New Member's Liason BBM Staff Member

I know some guys who bought them when they first came out and dew from sitting on the deck over night set them off

14. Nichor02

I've never had a problem with mine. I've had water spray me while going across rough water, but never set my vest off. Maybe I've been lucky.

15. gonefishing7903

This was years ago and I assume they are less prone to go off with casual dampness. Like everything the technology gets better. I was looking through a 2004 cabelas marine catalogue I had run across and how far our sonar units have come in ten years is unreal!

Kevin likes this.
  16. Crankin'

Crankin' Crankin'

Heh Nichor, on that 'Stearns Float Suit' getting wet underneath. The thing had a nice surface covering made out of approx. the same stuff as a regular nylon
    life jacket, it was a nice strong, thick material, had a nylon inner liner, and in the middle was the 'closed cell foam' flotation. But the flotation was in different
    or separate pieces and water could find its way through in a lot of places. If you covered the outer layer with the waterproof spray it would help quite a bit but
    rainwater would finally find the seams, that weren't sealed very well and seep right on in. You had some protection for a while, short while in a hard rain, and
    then you would notice the water coming in at a number of locations. I tried to fix the 'leakyness' different ways but never successfully. Thank goodness in the
    winter i never ran into a lot of rain. Long answer Nichor, i coulda said it was just 'shi**y made' , but Oh Well!!!

Nichor02 and Kevin like this.
  17. Rocknemo

Rocknemo New Member

Kind of ironic hearing people say its crazy to spend $200 on something that will save your life but have no problem spending $60,000 on a bass boat and another $50-$60 grand on a tow vehicle.

Nichor02 and Kevin like this.
  18. gonefishing7903

I agree but when a $50 traditional one will do a better job than the $200 auto inflate model.....now the float suit or floatation jacket I understand. Almost bought one of the jackets once, still regret not getting it

19. D-wayne

D-wayne Fisherman

Ive worn two inflatable out because I wear them. Im sure your loved one would be worth the extra 100bucks knowing that they will wear it. So many stories of drownings due to not wearing the pdf that is in the boat

20. gonefishing7903

To each their own. In no way am I trying to be critical of anyone's views or practices on the matter, just voicing my thoughts. I wear mine when I feel conditions warrent it. That may be a bit like bikers refusing to wear helmets I suppose. However when it comes down to it I do not trust automatic inflators and the ones that have to be deployed manually shouldn't even count as having a pfd onboard.

Last time I checked either type had to be worn to count as having a pfd anyway. So those who pull up to their spot and pull off their automatic better have a standard lifevest stowed somwhere or they are not in compliance. Terry Scroggins apparently does not care for the inflatables either. He recommends a kayak vest. Vests of this design allow for greater range of movement since they are designed to be worn while paddling around a yak