1. Welcome to BBM , We hope you enjoy your stay! Registration is FREE!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone Running a Parallel System?

Discussion in 'Trolling Motors' started by gonefishing7903, Dec 27, 2016.

1. gonefishing7903

gonefishing7903 New Member's Liason BBM Staff Member

This time of the year I end up doing a lot of speculation. I know I need a new trolling motor and I know the one I want is the Minnkota Maxxum 70, for more power and battery life. Problem is I start getting pains in my wallet when I look at the prices. So I was looking at the Minnkota Edge 45 which is about half of the Maxxum. Since in the back of my mind Im always looking to upgrade boats anyway, Im kind of leaning towards maybe going with the edge 45 and running two batteries parallel for more capacity. I know Im gonna be dealing with less thrust, but 45lbs is what Ive been using for several years anyway and Ill be saving enough to buy a Hydrowave or some other gadget anyway. Just thinking out loud but would love to hear feedback.

2. Laus3

Laus3 Public Relations BBM Staff Member

Dont do it dude. I ran in parallel for a couple of years with my motor guide 46. It helped but believe it or not a higher thrust in series will last longer because it used less amps to run the trolling motor. I switched from 46 pounds in parallel to 65 pounds in series and not only does my battery last longer, the extra 20 pounds of thrust makes a HUGE difference!

3. Laus3

I got a 65 pound thrust minnkota edge for only around $500 by the way... you will be struggling with 45 pounds on a windier day or if you are going through grass.

4. gonefishing7903

gonefishing7903 New Member's Liason BBM Staff Member

question about the edge motors. do they have a constant setting? I once had a troller that you had to be on the button for them to be on and I never will again

5. Laus3

Yes, the foot control is awesome, very wide and same as the more expensive Minnkota trolling motors. It also has both switches... Constant and engaged when the button is pressed.

gonefishing7903 likes this.
  6. Thread Status: You only have permission to view the first post in this thread.